Community Outreach Associate - Saugeen
Community Outreach Associate | Saugeen
The Environment Office is seeking one (1) outgoing and motivated individual who is eager to learn, to share information, and to engage with Community Members on a variety of topics affecting the SON Territory.
Program: Environment Office Saugeen Ojibway Nation
Supervisor: Community Engagement Manager
Accountable to: Environment Office Manager, Joint Chiefs and Council of the Saugeen Ojibway Nation
Term of Employment: Full-Time Permanent (Subject to Funding Constraints)
Rate of pay: $19.25 per hour @ 37.5 hours per week
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours/week (Monday to Friday - occasional weekends and evenings are required)
The Environment Office is the means by which the Joint Chiefs and Councils of the Saugeen Ojibway Nation (SON - Chippewas of Nawash Unceded FN and the Chippewas of Saugeen FN collectively) interact with companies and governments who wish to develop projects on our Territory. The Environment Office coordinates consultation with these proponents and ensure their projects do not negatively impact our Aboriginal and treaty rights and claims. An important part of consultation is keeping the Community members informed and getting input and feedback from Community members regarding these projects, consultations, and any agreements that might come out of the consultations.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have valid Ontario class "G" drivers' license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Must be physically well (able to walk around the Communities visiting Community members).
- Willingness to provide the results of a Criminal Background Check.
- Willingness to take all reasonable and necessary precautions to ensure personal health and safety and that of fellow workers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Are comfortable having one-on-one conversations with Community members.
- Are neutral, respectful, and personable in their interactions with people.
- Are familiar with computers and the programs we may need to use to maintain records and contact membership (e.g. Excel, Word, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
- Are punctual and flexible regarding hours of work.
- Maintaining Saugeen Ojibway Nation (SON) Membership Databsae.
- Contacting Community Membership via phone, email, and social media.
- Visiting Community members' homes and sharing communications and information materials.
- Distributing Saugeen Ojibway Nation communications and information materials.
- Executing an efficient process of contacting and engaging with community members on and off reserve.
- Protecting the privacy of personal information.
- Attend training and professional development opportunities as required.
- Maintaining accurate records and writing summary reports of outreach activities.
- Assist supervisor with the development of a schedule of work.
- Provide supervisor with regular updates.
Band members and persons of Aboriginal Heritage are encouraged to apply.
Forward cover letter and resume to: Attention: Saugeen Ojibway Nation Environment Office, Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation, 135 Lakeshore Blvd. Neyaashiinigmiing, Ontario, N0H 2T0. Identify position applied for on outside of the envelope. Fax (519) 534-5525.
Packages may also be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can also be delivered in person to Kathleen Ryan at the Saugeen Ojibway Nation Environment Office, 25 Maadookii Subdivision, Neyaashiinigmiing ON N0H 2T0 All applications are appreciated however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.